Monday 17 September 2012

Paraben free hair myth buster

My first post huraah. I am over the silicone-free hair hype now but I thought it was worth a post for any of you still pondering. In short, the idea is that using shampoo's and other hair cosmetics that are heavily packed with silicones (look out for 'Dimethicone'), parabens and the like are damaging your hair in the long run by 'coating' the hair shaft and preventing it from absorbing any natural oils and moisture. In my ever-continuing quest for glossy hair I turned to The Body Shop for goodies jammed with hair friendly ingredients.



The Body Shop Rainforest Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner
•Contains pracaxi oil, manketti nut oil and Community Trade honey, babassu oil and coconut oil.
•No silicones, no parabens and no colourants.
•For dry and damaged hair.

£4.00 per 250ml bottle, it smells delicious and makes hair washing a pleasure but after prolonged use I was left quite disappointed with the results, which I think was less The Body Shop's fault and more the lacking of artificial ingredients. My hair was silicone-free - it wasn't dried out (it's naturally soft anyway) but my split ends suffered and I quote my hairdresser who described my poor hair ends as "looking like they had been chewed by a rat". Need I say anymore?!

Whilst I am still concious of ingredients in hair products (as I am with a lot of things nowadays), I won't be buying anymore silicone free hair products, but I would happily buy more hair products from The Body Shop, as I think their products overall are quite good quality :) especially for the price. And I love their ethics! These shampoos are available in 60ml mini bottles so worth a try perhaps!

Since, I have used Aussie Colour Mate trio set but even less impressed. I am back on the market for a shampoo and conditioner for my fine, limp, long brown hair. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment